Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chasing the girl of my dreams...(from my novel BOOK OF MUSES)..Autumn in wisconsin, Oct 18, 1996 (a.)





There is a stuttered shuffle-ball-chain and then a pause in the linear free fall time warp that is eternity as I step off the stairwell of the plane and walk onto the snippet of tarmac, into the terminal, seeing the tint reflection of the woman of my dreams, the creature I have been writing poems after poems over for the past months for, the creature who I envision will spill meaning into my life, the person the commune of heavenly saints, the orchestration of higher providence my youthful nineteen year old bones feels oriented to be with for eternity.

 

            The sight of my Beatrice, the sight of my five-ft 4 Megan, the sight of my all.

 

She is looking shy, snug, her lips welded together in half-smile, coy, almost. Behind the window of extreme tint she looks just like the woman in the passport photograph she sent me, the extras, the woman who abstained from smiling at the international photographer because her teeth were still hurting.

 

            With my nylon bag still flung over my shoulder like a fresh hunt I strut up to the sight of my muse in autumn. A smile slowly ripples into her face. Then a blush. Then a larger smile.

 

            I am the first to barter a salutation.

 

            “Hello,” I say very simply. 

 

            We are in doors and everything is a blur. Light seems to richochet and skirt behind the

 

 

            “Hi,” her lips respond, as if engaged in a metaphysical chorus of recognition. The plucked notes constituting the epic overture of our shared song. A smile unfolds between the separate bridges of our smile as our limbs gravitate towards the bounty of each others respective lower waist and back, an embrace, I can smell the mist of her body, the newness of her neck and shoulder, the squeeze on both polar ends seems to grapple and tug and reel, the fleeting golden radiance of autumn, the earth tangoing with the nearest cosmic bulb 93 million miles away, the splash of light having left the solar hearth in a ripple of nuclear intensity seven minutes ago, while I was still hovering above the gold course like topography of the fox river valley, now sprinkle across the atmospheric halo of the planet in a streaking tithe of  generating glory, and the girl now ardently ensconced in the prison of my arms, realizing only in medias embrace that I am somehow buoyed also in the cradle of her arms and that we are both squeezing the fuck out of each other in one elongated embrace that seems to throw fits of unalloyed envy into the anthem of eternity forever above.

 

            “It’s good to see you again.” I say, as, as if angelically choreographed, our limbs go limp from scaling the proximity of the others body and our fingertips subside. 

 

 

                                                            *

 

 

            “Do you have any luggage?” Megan asks, heading in the direction of the luggage carousel.

 

            “Everything I have is right here.” I say, as I hold up the nylon red bag I have been lugging with me since I left the cement steps of my house what seems like a collective lifetime earlier. Somehow I refrain from stating espousing that everything that I have ever spiritually yearned for in the corporeal blink of this lifetime is stationed three feet to my imminent left.

 

            As we exit the airport the sliding doors seem to hush open. Megan turns to me.

 

            “Cigarettes,” Megan says, as we step out into the parking lot of the Appleton Airport, “Do you smell them?”

 

            I comment in the affirmative, making a guttural sound of dissent with my lips, proud that I have just quit, once again.

 

            “We should get some sometime this weekend.” Megan says, referring to smokes.

 

            “Yes,” I say, shocked that she wants to smoke, the images of the unvarnished bride of health slowly deteriorating inside the ashtray of my psyche. Somehow the thought of Megan indulging in my most sacred vice next to caffeine is extremely alluring.

 

Megan has the type of vehicle where the seatbelts automatically snaps you into place when the car door shushes to a close. Rather than place my duffel bag in the back seat, next to her school books, I keep it wedged between the caps of my knees. There is muffled whir and the vehicle is quickly off, jetting through the airport parking lot, a scattering of leaves crackling behind the vehicle in the fashion of dust. As Megan reaches the entrance to the airport she unbuckles her seatbelt and reached above the overhead visor searching for a parking voucher.

 

            “Do you need money?” I ask her. Megan declines as she grasps the receipt, and I try not to make it obvious as she unlocks her door and hands the voucher to the toll booth operator, that I am overtly ogling her cute denim clad ass, swearing up and down that it is the sexiest thing I have ever seen.

 

            There is an apprehensiveness about Megan as she drives. Twice she has already asked me if I’m alright. Twice I have responded in the affirmative.

 

            “I was thinking if you wanted to we could go down to Door County this weekend. It’s beautiful down there this time of year.”

 

            I tell her I don’t care what we do this weekend.

 

            “All I wanna do is just hang out with you angel.” I respond. Megan’s echoes out again a very, “he’s so sweet,” awww.

 

            “There’s a football game tonight. My highschool. If you want to go to that.”

 
             I iterate again that I don’t mind at all.

                                               

We have already told each other numerous times that the other looks good. I have already conveyed to her that it feels real good to see her again.

 

There are smiles. In the back of her Volvo there are several school books heaped together, strewn across the back seat.

 

It seems a lifetime ago when I first espied the sight of the spritely creature seated humped over cocoon like fashion in the carpeted hallway of a posh suburban hotel with airliners streaking by overhead in thunderous meted yawns.

 

“I have to stop in the mall to talk to someone about a potential job a friend is trying to set me up with so I’ll have money for Christmas.” Megan says. In the back seat of her vehicle is a bushel of stacked school books. She drives fast, clipping corners in a rash fashion,.We pass emerald neon brick-kiln plateau of Barnes and Nobles. I think about the bookmark Megan sent me a month ago. I think about last June, wading in the air conditioner of barnes and Nobles, floating throughout the store with a stack of books sunk into the palms of my hands,Ppat Mullowneys monotone expressing amazement and the text he has just fished up from the rugged corridors of the boxes, as if catching a fish in a trap and watching as it wriggles fresh with life while cupped in its hand.

 

 

            “You don’t mind do you?” She asks again, as if she is overtly concerned about  her propriety.

 

 

No, I tell her., swiping my chin as if following a ledger line on sheet music. I tell her I don’t mind at all.

 

                                                            ***

 


 
We walk into aquatic blue glower of a mall in autumn, soon to be festooned with garish Holiday bric-a-brac surely come  two weeks before thanksgiving.

 

The first store we pass is a bookstore. A rival of Barnes ampersand Nobles.

 

            “Come here,” I say, leading Megan inside the excessively lighted bookstore, waltzing past the saluting almost neon brows of glossy magazine, past the cheap mass marketed romantic best sellers, MEN ARE FROM MARS, the Dual alters and pathetic cardboard pyres dedicated to CONVERSATIONS WITH GOD and the latest serving of CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL, past tomes of true crime each with pictures of OJ Simpson on the cover, near the end, the slant that reads simply LITERATURE  the two columns dedicated to the grind and crux of my vocation.

 

            “Kerouac,” I say, holding up ON THE ROAD, even though I have a copy in my back pack, along with Walt Whitman’s LEAVES OF GRASS. As if indenting the beginning of the beat-generation bulletin with my forefinger and thumb I flip a few pages into the beginning and begin to read.

 

 “I love this section:”

 
            “For the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars in the middle you see the blue center light pop and everybody goes “Awww!”  
 

I hold the book up as if I am on some sort of soapbox in Hyde park via London and begin to tell Megan about the individuals I have already told her about numerous times in the howling h and writing of my missives. I tell her about Pat Mullowney and how I met him last summer when we were opening the Barnes and Nobles up and had to alphabetized and shelf the books in the fiction department and how Pat would look (a smile on his lips that look some what like a lugubrious harlequin that has just discerned enlightenment) saying the name Cup-oat-tea or Carol-whack or Bou-kow-skee. I tell her about endless afternoons loafing around the oak mahogany at Lums, ashing out cigarette après clove cigarette, scrawling poems on whatever napkin or placemat we could pawn off as parchment. I tell her about the long meandering drives in the van o’ Hale chasing the azure-hinted tendrils of the sunset down the solitary trigonometric cornfield slate of dusty Midwestern roads. I tell her about the Drac  mobile and about heartache and smoking a box of swischer sweets on Judy’s porch last summer in the opulent vector of town and watching as the sun seems to bowl and lob its intergalactic flare into the eastern pond of the horizon.  I tell her about white Trash Pat and overtly air-conditioned afternoons in the mall and the scent of sun-lotion on co-workers and snapping crickets in the haze of dusk and bonfires at Jackie's house and being in the hospital and hurting and somehow being ensconced by a bubble of my closest friends at the same time.     
 

            “I still have the Anne Sexton book of poems you sent me.” Megan adds, stating that she hasn’t had much of a chance to read it with school and all but from what she has read she has found it interesting indeed. At the mention of Anne Sexton I immediately break out into an ad hoc rendition of “Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator,” the last stanza, which makes Megan blush.

 

Part of me wants to grab Megan’s hand and squeeze it. Part of me is afraid. I still have the copy of ON THE ROAD in paw. Megan looks at me as if she wants me to read to her some more.  My thumb scuttles across the paper linear of the book, prying open the last chapter of Kerouac’s text like an unopened route 66 atlas stowed in Neal Cassady’s glove compartment of a recently purloined Plymouth.  I read to her about the banner of America, feeling all alone, thinking about how it Iowa

 

            “Come here,” I say. Holding her hand for one second before quickly letting go, leading Megan to the front of the store, the New releases.”

 

            “Ethan Hawke’s book.” I say, alighting it off the shelf, pointing at the sweet-n-sour heart bleeding a tear on the cover. Without hesitation Megan asks me if I have read it.

            “It just came out about a week ago.” I said. “I love the title.”

 

            “We need to rent that movie this weekend.” Megan says, referring to Before Sunrise. “It’ll be cool to watch it with you.”

            “Yes,” I say, cupping my right arm around in her neck an almost Pythagorean angle. “Let’s get outta here. I need coffee.”

 

“Aren’t you gonna buy the book?” She asks me.


            “Not now. Maybe soon.”

 

                                                            ***



“So what happened at Barnes and Nobles?” Megan inquires, there have been several lulls in our conversational gaps. Every time I try to make it witticism or comment she blushes looks down smiles and remains silent.

 

            “I basically had one of those cathartic moments where I felt that I wanted to quit work and just pour out all my time and energy on my education.” I say, Megan nods her head claiming that that sounds like a good idea.

 
            “I had a little money saved up from working all the god damn time last year and I got a 500 dollar scholarship which I got to keep for myself and which paid for my ticket up here but other than that I’m strongly beginning to reconsider save for the fact that I had employment and shortly I’ll be broke.”



            Megan responds by offering out a rather commiserating I know what that’s like.

 
            I confess to Megan that I wish I could find a way just to study and read and to write poems all the time.
 

            “Shit, It sucks. Whadyasay. Can a poet buy you a cup of coffee?”

 

We stop in Gloria Jeans and I order two large café mochas. I tell Megan how much I love the book mark she sent me, stating the Turkish mantra of “Coffee should be black as night, hot as hell and sweet like love adage from memory. A silent smile creeps up into her face. Megan responds to my plagiarized proverb by stating that she thought I might like that.

 
            “I think last time we were together we did Mocha, Meg.” I add, inexplicably addressing her Meg solely by the first syllable of her name all of a sudden.  
 

            Megan offers out a snug and almost nonchalant nod of concurrence. A wallowing silence begins to envelope the for some reason blue-space between us. Inside the interior  concavity of my chest I feel comfortable. This feels right. Being next to Megan seems right, although she feels apprehensive. As we walk in the direction of her future employer I allow my heart to shattered the spasms of silence.

 
            “I just want to thank you Megan for these lasts couple of months. I’ve really enjoyed writing you and talking with you on the phone and role-playing and dreaming and all that.”
 

           
 
 
Megan cuts me short and tells me that she is sorry to hear about my girlfriend. I respond back with a long drawled out what.


            “You know. Your girlfriend. What was her name, Kat?’

 
            “Kris. Kristine. With a K. Some people called her Kitty, though. Kitty Pekowski.”
 

Megan looks at me as if I have just somehow offended her in some way and she is sorry she can’t remember every minute facet of my personal life.
 

            “I think that was her name. The girl in the prom picture.”

 
            “Yes, that was her.” I say, as if to say what about her. Alls well that ends well. Don’t let the door kick you one your ass on the way out.
 

            “Anyway,” Megan amends, “I’m really sorry about that. From your letters you guys seemed to be the perfect couple. And that prom picture—I mean, everybody wants their prom picture to look like that.”


            “It’s no big deal.” I inform Megan, seeing where this is going, trying to tell her that we didn’t really have all that much in common anyway. Trying to express to her that she is young, naïve, immature—that we had no sort of an emotional rapport whatsoever to speak of in the soil of our relationship. That’s the word I use, rapport. I pronounce it sans the t, like it was a spelling B.

“She’s the same age and grade as I am, David.” Megan replies.
 

Touché.
                                                                ***
 

 

 

The restaurant where Megan is applying is a deli located in Dayton’s department store.  “Apple-TON, Day-TON,” I begin to verbalize aloud, stopping before I get to the self-remedied chorus of, “I love you a Ton.”  As we walk in the deli is empty as a yawn. There are no patrons. The area behind the cash register is empty. Megan comments that she is sure she is in here somewhere, the lady she is supposed to meet, her future boss. Much to Megan’s chagrin I take initiative, visually combing the store, noticing the western saloon like doorways leading to the back.

 

“She must be back here,” I say, grabbing Megan by the wrist, shepherding her in lamb-slaughtering fashion behind the counter, into the back room, scoping my head to the left, saying hell, being greeting only by an echoing lid of reverberating silence. Megan is apprehensive about being the backroom. She tells me that maybe we should just up and go. That she can come back later. That it is not really a big deal. That she doesn’t want to like get in trouble for being some place she shouldn’t. That she can call the manager when she gets back home.

 

I tell Megan that if the manager informed her via phone that she would be in at said time then we should have nothing to worry about and the manager would be pleased to see that Megan is showing both initiative and eagerness in attempt to garner employment. Megan shoots me a look as if to convey it’s only part-time, its not like it’s a career or anything like that.  There is a metallic clang of tray from what appears to be a side room where the dishes are washed and stowed. The doughy countenance of the manager appears before us in almost heralding minor-prophet fashion. She is apron-clad sporting a bad late-80’s perm and is overweight and looks like she hasn’t slept since sometime during the Reagan administration. I am about ready to take the initiative and introduce my muse to the yeasty yeti when Megan interjects stating that she was the one who called about the job and had an appointment at given time.

 

The soporific-eyelided women inquires if Megan has ever worked with food before. Megan swipes her head and says nope.

 

“You’ll have to be trained then,” The manager says. I excuse myself exiting the backroom and taking generous slurps of my mocha. Megan comes out five minutes later with what appears to be a schedule folded between her clasped hands.   She doesn’t appear to be smiling.

 

“Did you get the job then?”

 

“I need to come in next week for training.”

 

“Are you excited. I mean, this is like your first big time job and everything.”

 

Megan looks back at me. We are headed in the direction of the parking lot which for some weird reason I appear to be taking the lead. It is almost if I can hear Megan blink.

 

I tell Megan we should celebrate. Megan tells me that it is no big deal. That she just needed money for Christmas. That it is really no big deal at all.

 

She then says my name again. Light greets us as we reach the parking lot. Megan turns to me and inquires if I remember where she parked.

 

“I sometimes forget things like that.”

 

 \
                                                            ***

 

I remember talking to you on the phone and role-playing going to Paris and totally wanting to lose it to you.”

 

We are connected to a social network spread out in front of us like a game of battleship only we find ourselves lodged on polar sides of the country.

 

If we wanted to we could communicate like this via our phones without  having to hear each others voices via something called texting.

 

Megan will tell me, via a diminutive window frame sprouting up on the bottom of a larger window frame almost exactly fifteen years later since I said goodbye to Appleton that autumnal afternoon.

 

                                                            ***

 


 



The way home from Dayton Megan still seems cloaked in a silent cape of apprehensiveness.  I ask her if she is nervous about me meeting her progenitors. She bites down on her lip and says the word no. She then says that her parents are really cool and all. Megan continues to plow through the avenues nearing her abode, missing three consecutive stop signs and failing to use her blinker leaving a crinkle of leaves behind her muffler as she marshals the vehicle on to Beechwood Avenue.

 

Every front yard in Appleton Wisconsin is so manicured it looks like someone should shout par when they walk on the lawn. Megan doesn’t laugh in the slightest when I correlate Beechwood avenue with Budweiser’s Beechwood Aged and inquire when the Clydesdales will come galloping down the street any second now.

 

I stare at the real-life digits to the address I have been writing in the center of every envelope I have sent Megan over the past seven months.

 
“You know this is almost exactly how I would have pictured your abode.” I tell her grappling my bag between my leg as I notice that Megan has already placed the vehicle in P and slammed the wing of her car door close waiting for me as if we are a expectant couple truant for our Lamaze appointment.  I alight the handle of my bag containing poems I have written for her over the last six months and follow her shadow like a tail into her parents’ house.
As we reach the welcome mat Megan shoots me a  facial glance indicative of even though this is the house I have grown up in and where I live maybe we should ring the bell as some sort of  courtesy or something. I look back at her, my red duffel bag still dripping in knuckled-furled off of my shoulder blade. There is a gravid pause. I look back at Megan and she says nothing, standing next to me, a pensive expression sewn into the diminutive hyphen of her bottom lip, the bride forgetting the question asked by the minister steepeled in front of her.
 
There is a swiveled squeak as the hedge to the screen door opens in the fashion of an advent calendar as both of Megan’s parents stand before us, welcoming smiles on their respective faces her father’s hand salutes out in the fashion of a handle on a slot machine.  Megan is quiet and her parents’ appear to be talking both at once. They tell me that it is nice to meet me. They use the word pleasure. They seem to tilt their head in almost windmill fashion while stating that they have seen all the mail I have sent via thoroughly stamped and metered post for their daughter over the past six months.
 
                       
            “Oh you have read them.” I say as they blush the tips of their fingers over their lips and begin to laugh.
 
            Inside the door in the foyer there is a picture of Megan’s family perhaps when she was four years older. Her mother with long hair. Her father looking gaunt and serious with peninsula sideburns, a beige suit and mackerel colored tie with a knot in the center of it that looks like it could be the size of a minor league baseball diamond.
                                     
“Come here,” Megan says, giving me the tour of the house. The house is the affluent sniff of an early eighties homage to perennial promise of white middle class. The first floor alone could pass comfortably as a ranch house based on the merit of diameter and sprawling width. The second floor is reserved for a large bathroom and two commodious sides bedrooms, one once belonging to Megan’s older sister Katie, the other belonging to the northern Beatrice of my dreams. Another flight of carpeted stairs leads to parent’s bedroom chamber above.
 
            “This is my room.” Megan says, brushing the door open. I see the Anne Sexton book I sent her last spring. Her bed is neatly manicured, a walk in closet so large it looks like it could pass for an 1100 dollar a month apartment in the lower east side where rectangular tiles of jeans remain neatly stacked on each other. This is the room Megan sent me pictures of last summer. The room with the portrait of Raphael’s angels that Mark Andrew sent me for my 16th birthday, the pensive eye browed toddler-flab of the twin cherubim’s that seemingly will follow me my whole life.
 
It is the bed where the woman of my dreams lies on and dreams. I look at the phone and try not to think about the last time I called her when her friend picked up and then five minutes later when asked where she was Megan told me that she was saying goodbye to someone.
 
Next to the mirror are pictures of her friends huddled in triangles and a varsity letter puffed out with the digits 9 and 7.
 
As I look at the rectangular cheekbones of her drawers I wildly try not to imagine what drawers her panties are kept in, folded in little triangular configurations.
 
 “And these are for you.” She hands me a pair of towels which I accept in spelling bee trophy like fashion. I look at Megan’s bed. I wonder if she has kept any of the letters I sent her over the summer and if so which drawer they might be sealed in. I wonder if she has scribbled out my name in her diary. Judging from how she has acted when I am in the proximity of her shadow this afternoon I wonder if she has thought about me at all.
 
 
My contacts have been hatched in the lids of my eyes all day. I tell Megan that I need to use the closet sized restroom in the basement. I can hear her mother carol down the stairs with a voice that sounds just like Lily Tomlin that Megan has a phone call. Megan picks up downstairs and with a chirp tells her mother that she’s got it waiting three seconds as to verify that her mother claps down the phone before answering hello, immediately her voice starting to giggle. I can hear her lips stretch and smile as I reach into the lids of my eyes and remove the translucent saucers.  Whoever Megan is talking to on the phone is making her laugh in a way I have yet to be able to. I look around at my duffel bag on the bed. Megan is asking the recipient on the far end of the phone if there is any possible way he could get for her just a fifth of Jack Daniels. On the far end of the basement is my bed enclosed in a tetrahedron of old upholstery and furniture. There is a watercolor of downtown Appleton, Wisconsin above the wall where I am to sleep. Three flights of stairs separate myself from Megan’s bedroom.
 
            Megan continues to laugh and smile into the phone. I feel that I am doing something wrong.
 
            “I mean, you sure you just can’t pick me up a fifth?” She inquires before her voice spasms off in hiccups and laughter, the tan shade of her visage folds into what looks like spring. I offer a reciprocating smile, backflipping over the inside of my chest, mentally wishing that I could take her to that orchard of laughter the lad chatting with her on the opposite side of the phone is seemingly taking her.
 
I walk into the other room. The laundry room on the north side of the basement is coated with leftover Peanuts vignettes from the late 70’s. A picture of snoopy lounging nose up on top of the steeple of his dog house. I brush into the guest bathroom downstairs, the doors of which open and close like a pantry door. Megan laughs again before telling the recipient of her affections goodbye, hanging up the phone with a plastic clack.
 
            “I tried to get us some booze for the weekend.” She says. “ I don’t know if I succeeded or not.”
 
            “It doesn’t matter.” I say, looking at Megan, a smile stretched across my face, realizing that I have everything I have ever wanted in less than two decades surfacing on this planet in front of me as we speak.
 
“We can go for a walk before we go to dinner if you like and just talk for a while.”
 
            I tell Megan its beautiful here. I use the word Buccolic and hamlet even though she looks at me funny when I say that.
 
            “It’s not bucolic, David. It’s only Appleton.”
 
 
                                                                        ***
 
“How do you get when you drink.” I inquire, a year later, holding the cordless phone into the slant of my chin like a little kid trying to discern the sound of the ocean.
 
            “Horny.” Megan says, as if she has just swallowed something and can’t get enough of it stuffed between her lips
                       
                                               

 

   ***
 
 
Pre-dusk autumnal silver seems to be splashing into the streets. Towards the west the sun is being engulfed in a yolk of blinding peach-dribbling light. I tell Megan that I can’t believe how barren the trees are.
 
            “Back in P-town autumn, the branches don’t usually lose the bulk of all their leaves until after Halloween. Hell, the sweet gum tree in front of my house never seems to lose its leaves until we have Christmas lights up, sometimes even after the new year.”
 
Megan looks at me a tad perplexed. I am a freshman in college. I ask Megan the question I have been asking every romantically linked female cohort since Dawn Michelle Kimble back in the day.
 
            “So,” I stutter, “How’s big time senior year?”
 
            Megan blushes and says that she doesn’t know. Then, using the same inquisitive high-pitched monotone I previously employed Megan volleys the same question back at me, asking me how big time Freshman year is going. Mentally I mark off another tattered touché and smile, remembering why I like this chick.
 
            The northern wind brushes through our bodies in a raking fashion. Megan is wearing a sweater and a jacket. Her shoulders slightly titter with the almost Pentecostal passing of the wind.
 
            I tell Megan again that this is a nice town. I tell her that I like it here. Every time there is a lull in our conversation I verbalize to Megan that it is really good seeing her again. I call her Meg as sockets of lavender slowly splatter against the western arena of the skyline. Towards the east a film of darkness is beginning to scuttle, as if on all fours. The subdivision where Megan lives consists of two level affluent ranch style houses reminding me of the north part of P-town where all the rich kids with futures subside. Gradually as we walk dining room windows become illuminated with lights. Every time a car slices past a sprinkle of leaves orbit in its wake. For reasons I can’t understand Megan brings up Kristina once again.
 
            “I’m really sorry about you and your girlfriend. How long did you two date?”
 
            “About four months. I really didn’t know her all that well. She was on the prom planning committee at her high school and she needed a date and I was sort’ve best friends with her best friend’s boyfriend if that makes any sense.”
 
Megan nods and says that it does. Another car shoots past tithing a confetti crinkle of leaves.
            Megan asks so just what happened, before tacking on a “besides the fact that you were unfaithful” bit at the end of the sentence.
 
            “Good ol’ Infidelity.” I say. Megan does not look amused in the slightest.
 
            “Sounds to me like you really hurt her, David.” She says, claiming again that no one has a prom picture like that.
 
            Megan asks how many times I felt compelled to cheat on her. I shrug my shoulders avoid the questions. When she asks again I lie and tell her that it was only once.
 
            “Her birthday was a few days ago. On October first. I sent her a card and I called her up and apologized to her for everything.”
 
            “How did she act?”
 
            “She was aloof. Like she always is.”
 
A blanket of wet chalkboard darkness is beginning to slip across the horizon like some sort of a lid. The sun has almost completely winked out on the opposite side of the aerial canvas. I make small talk about day light savings. Falling back. How next week at this time, it will have already been dark for a good hour.
 
            “We need to turn around and go back home now. We’ll get some food.”
 
            I nod, obeying her request by marshaling my limbs a full 180, pausing, telling Meg that it is really good to see her once again. She remains silent, picking up her gait into the direction of the house.
 
 
 

                                                                   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment