Saturday, October 19, 2013

Still Oct 19th, 1996....stilll autumn...still 19 years old...still just a lil' bit in love (oct 19th b.)


 


We enter the car with the Best Mix tape she has ever Heard sitting in the plastic receptacle-wielding bin next to the passenger chair like some sort of trust fund inheriting heir. I make such a conscious effort not to slam the door in disgust that the second she rolls out of her driveway I need to open the door and slam it again so that the car quits emitting a goddamn high pitch bling sounding like some old Midwestern dotard buying vowels off of Wheel-of-Fortune. Megan backs out again of the driveway in a quick screech. She tells me to wait until she is at least two blocks from her home until I fire up another smoke. I flip my sunglasses on my head and puff away and notice my reflection in the side mirror, briefly thinking about the old man I sat next to on the 300 hundred dollar forty-five minute flight I took from O'Hare to Appleton the day before. Behind my eyelids part of my skull seems like crumpling, like the friable architecture culled from the lip of antiquity. It feels like my skull is going to implode and drip, slicing down the front of my countenance in something that resembles tears.

I don't want to look at myself in the side mirror. I ask Megan where she wants to go. She asks for a cigarette. The number of cigarettes we have prodigiously consumed between over the last twelve hours have dwindled so that the carton offers a healthy samba-like rattle when shook. As I bring the smoke to my lips the look on her face seem to say that you don't need to light it for me every time I ask for a cigarette, David. When I hand her the let smoke she says thank you. I can't get over just how perfect the weather is outside. I tell Megan that the overhead blue kinda resemble the enhanced window of a computer screen when first you turn it on before the decals plop up.

I tell her I need more coffee. She says I guess we can go back to the mall and walk around for a while and then maybe go to a movie.

I look over at Megan, shove the top of my sunglasses back into the center of my brow. I light a cigarette off the stem of an old one and flush the previous one out the side of the window. I look back at Megan, the unvarnished bride I had traipsed all the way up the North country somehow to see. She has a look on her face as if she trying to study for some college entrance exam. There is a sick feeling lodged in my stomach. An alchemical beaker filled with inhibition and failure all at once that is slowly beginning to bubble and somehow char under the Bunsen burner of my chest. It's like my face needs to ejaculate needs to erupt from my chest like a botched junior high science fair baking-soda pebto bismal and vinegar science fair experiment. From the best I can tell we are near the area of town where Megan plowed over the curve last night.

Megan looks at me and asks me if I am alright.

For some reason the only song that has been the radio the whole weekend is Meredith bainbridge’s “mouth.” A part of me wants to plead my case. Part of me just needs to crumple apart in shatter leaf of tears.

”You know Meg,” I say, still calling her Meg, omitting the second syllable of her first name for reasons not known to either myself or the discourse of mankind. “Even though we got into the tiff back there in the coffee shop, it was still really good coming up here and saying you again.”

Megan says nothing. Her lips then seem to hush out a you too as if she is saying the name of Bono's band before she reels the vehicle into the concrete topography of the mall parkinglot and I ask her what she wants to do and she responds that she doesn't know, stating that maybe we can just walk around and hang out or something.

 
There is silence. Outside the autumnal day might aptly be described as refulgent and apical. Much in the fashion that I kept on saying to Megan that it was really good to see her again last night while inexplicably calling her Meg Megan keeps on saying that she's sorry, only it is somehow void of sentiment. Every time she says she is sorry I say it's cool, everything is cool.

 
I'm about ready to topple inside when I take a deep breath.

 
“Okay, I'm up here in bumfuck appleton Wisconsin. I'm not going anywhere for the next 28 hours. Lets jettison all romantic projections and just have a kick ass weekend.”

 
Megan says that she is sorry once again but she never harbored any romantic predilections to begin with.

 “Even when we were in Paris last summer, on the phone?”

 
           “Yes,” She answers in an overtly stolid manner, "Even when we were in Paris last summer on the phone.”

 
            “But it felt so real” I try to reason.

 
            “David, we were only  role-playing. We weren't in Paris. I live in Appleton. You live in Peoria.

 

 

 

                                                                        ***


Exactly 17 months later Megan will call me and tell me that she had a dream where she was giving me a good old fashioned down south mouth hug. A blow job.

I was giving you a blow job in the dream and you just...couldn't” There is a pause. I ask Megan what she is talking about. She seems to be quiet before her voice audibly nibbles into the side of the phone once again.

“You know its like,..you whipped it out and I started going down on you only you just couldn't...” Another pause. I ask Megan what she is talking about.

“You just couldn't come.” She says again. “And then I started to get frustrated thinking it was all somehow my fault and then you told me that it was all your fault somehow and that you have never been able to do it that way. And that it was all somehow you.”

****

 
 



I tell her that I need more coffee. Megan shoots at at me before tells me that I've had something like four accumulated pots today already. I tell her that this is a typical day for me and that I’m trying to make quota.

 

***


 

For some reason the mall seems vapid, like we already been there done that.  The autumnal sun is blaring down on the sallow geometrical u-configured slants that signal vacant parking spaces. For some reason as I slam the car door shut Megan tells me to try to remember where we parked this time.

It takes forever for the emerald-apron clad barista at Gloria jeans to concoct me a decent Mocha. The line is too long and it is awkward waiting in tandem with Megan who insists that, no, she’s currently caffeinated enough for the time being, thank you. A listless silence ensues. Keeled over the chrome hisses of the airplane engine espresso machine the red-haired barista looks at me and says, “That was a decaf, right?”  I snap. I tell him no.  I can see his shoulders titter in a post-electric shock fashion. He says sorry. He jettisons the cup with the swill of the first drink stored inside and offers to fix me another mocha.  Normally I never bitch about retail services but I’m in a bad mood. The way Megan says, “Really different people” sounds pre-ordained like she has rehearsed it before hand like a religious mantra.

The mocha the gangly barista is pouring looks like some sort of microwaveable friendly excrement. I want to tell him that I know espresso. That I worked at the Starbucks in my local Barnes and Nobles last summer. That what he is currently draining in a Christmas tree cup and dolloping with a boutonniere of  whip cream and sprinkles looks like some sort of embellished fecal sample.

“Since you fucked up on the first one and made me wait and extra five minutes shouldn’t this one be gratis?”

The barista looks back at me nonplussed after telling me that 2.95 is the damaged incurred.


 Tramping en route to Dayton’s Megan shoots me a look asking me why I have to sound like a godamn unabridged Roget’s Thesaurus all the time. I take a swig of my well-incubated mocha before promulgating that it tastes insipid. I try to make a joke that goes over Megan’s head stating that if a buddy served me something like this over Bloody Mary’s while tail gating on Superbowl Sunday I would look at him and ask, “What, did I just fuck yer wife?” Everytime Megan shoots me a look it is silence, and I can feel certain vectors of my chest beginning to unzip.                                      

I take another swig, tilting my head back. For some reason I feel emotionally impelled to say the word, “ahhh” after every sip, as if I am in a dated 80’s instant coffee commercial.

I feel like I am about ready to lose everything inside of me.

“I mean...What about all those poems I wrote for you...What about coming up here. I thought this is what you wanted.”

Megan responds quietly by saying, David, I already told you. I become quiet. I am going to emotionally erupt. I tell her that I need to go to the Mens room. She says she is going to talk to someone over here at Daytons to verify if ther person she needs to talk to . I tell her to meet me back here, at the hat rack, come five minutes.

I reach for the bathroom. Thankfully

 
I twist the nob and enter the bathroom like I am crossing some sort of finish line, every quantum pore of my anatomy feels as if it is going to implode.

 

                                                                               ***                                                                                          

 
            I find myself in the bathroom in the mall, a welling sadness aches and corrodes behind my skull. I don’t want Megan to see me cry but for the moment I can help it—everything inexplicably leaks from the center of my face, I try momentarily glancing at my visage in the mirror but see only the hard bruised red of a boy who has failed. I snuff the tears up  in a chorus of snorts. I mentally cogitate that I still have  half of the trip ahead of me. My whole face is composed of cubist and  trigometric shades of red. The wet prisms swelling my optical periphery of this world make gives everything the appearance of being upside down, like I am suffocating and trapped in a snow globe., I can’t breath. Part of me wants to throw up the hash brown and eggs I recently consumed for breakfast. Part of me wants to go home, just wants to leave. Wants to spend the night on a bus stop, curl in the diffracted planks of the elongated sidewalk sunrise in the morning. Part of me wants to take the thumb size photograph inside her wallet of the boy Megan is in love with, whip out my cock, alight it over the porcelain uterus of the urinal and douse it in the acidic sting of my own urine.

 

 

Part of me just wants to cry.

 

            “I turn the cold water on and try not to look at how bruised and battered my visage appears in the mirror. The last time I looked in a mirror was the condom dispenser inside the gas station before we bought cigarettes.

 

            “Okay,” I tell myself, slathering icy drips of cold water across the salty latitudinal lines skiing from my sockets to my chin, “Okay. You can get through this. You’ll be oh-kay.”

 
                                                                       ***
 

 

After I leave the bathroom I find Megan waiting for me in the center of the department store, near a hat stand. I don’t want her to look at me I don’t want her to note that I have been crying.

 

As I stand next to her Megan shoots me a look inquiring if everything is okay. I try to divert attention. I don’t want her to scrutinize my face.

 
 


 
            “Here,” I say, grapping the red hat, and pushing it down on her head, “Now you look just like Paddington bear.

 

            Not to be outdone Megan grabs a nearby derby cap and quickly plants it on the top of my head, much to the chagrin of my self conscious hair.

 

I walk out of the bathroom, pleading with whatever overhead Diety there is that Megan will fail to notice the planetary swerves around my eyelids.

 

            “You alright?” Megan asks me.

 
I don't want Megan to see that I've been crying, to see the weak red lines streaked across the interior globes of my iris. She has just taken off the Paddington bear cap. We are walking towards the entrance doors to Dayton’s. Megan looks at me kinds funny. We have decided to do the only thing are age bracket really avails us an opportunity to do over the weekend, we have decided to see a movie. Megan then stops and tells me to look at her

I turn my head.

“Your eyes are so blue,” She says. “Your eyes change color. I could have sworn they were green.”

 Part of me wants to tell Megan that my eyes always change color after I have been crying. I remain silent. She says thank you when I hold the door open for her as we half-canter our into the palpable thick mouth that is autumn.

 “Yeah,” I say, “I’m fine.”
 
 
 
                                                                           ***  

The movie theatre is located inside the western slant of the mall. I’ve been in Appleton less than twenty-four, spending eight hours alone groping the rectangular fluff of the pillow on my downstairs mattress and it seems weird that 30 percent of the time I have spent basked in Megan’s presence have been spent facing the same direction watching illuminated narratives flicker across a televised plateau.  Megan looks at me and smiles. Self-consciously I wonder if she can discern that my sockets sentimentally erupted in the MENs bathroom at Daytons.

 

She inquires what movie I wish to see.

 

Part of me wonders if she can sense the expired rivulets of salt trilling down my face,

 

We stand if front of the movie theatre, all listed with titles in embellish fonts, none of which look particularly alluring.

 
Playing at this cinema this weekend is a movie called SLEEPERS. There is one called GHOST IN THE DARKNESS and one called LONG KISS GOODNIGHT. I kinda want to see Spike Jones’ GET ON THE BUS but have a feeling that Megan will think its too Ghettoey.

 
Megan tells me that she wants to see something good.

 
The third sequel to the Mighty Ducks starts in less than an hour. A movie called THAT THING THAT YOU DO staring Tom Hanks and Liv Tyler is playing. So is a movie called THE CHAMBER. I make the brazen pointing to the light bulb-alighted rectangular  placard advertising the Tom Hanks before telling the every time anyone asks me that question (i.e, what is that thing that you do?) I always inform them that it’s called masturbation.  Megan shoots me a look as if signaling me to stop trying to perform bland stand-up esp. when we are in public and someone from her highschool might be working behind the ticket booth.

 

“Which flick do you want to see?”

 
Megan overtly comments how she thinks its funny how I always refer to movies as quote flicks. She looks in my direction. For a second it appears that her cheekbones brush up into a parenthesis of flesh coercing the subtle arc of a smile to brush over her face.

 
I tell her I really want to see Mighty Ducks three. She tilts her head in jilted pinwheel fashion back in my direction before informing me to answer the previous addressed query by uttering the syllables really. Figuring I have already made Megan scowl more today than she has over the discourse of a lifetime I refrain from making a flippant comment about saying that we should go see THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT because invariably that is how this night is going to end.

 
“Let’s Go see 2 Days in the Valley.” I state, iterating again that I am something of a drooling Tarentino buff.

 
Megan assents with her chin. I tell her that I don’t know much about the movie but that purportedly it’s really well written  and really witty and kinda film-noirish and the plot is suppose to be intentionally convoluted.

 
Megan looks back at me as if she doesn’t know what to say. I walk up to the ticket booth, configure my fingers in the universally acknowledged splayed-twin dactyled emblem of peace and say two for two days.

Megan says that we still have and hour-fifteen minutes before the movie convenes and without asking what want to do suggests that maybe we can just hang out in a park or something.

I nod my head as if in orchestral assenting tempo, telling her that I would love to.

 

 

                                                                              ***

 
 
 
 

As we lie down in the park that looks like one continuous golf course fairway I begin to talk about the fashion in which the autumnal light seems to hit the side of her body, reflecting in a way that is almost stainglass-like. I talk about just how perfect a weekend I am having regardless of Megan’s insistence that we are too just quote really different people end-quote. I tell Megan how her presence has enriched my life. How it has been a blessing. How some of the best times I have had not only with a woman but with a human being in general have been accompanied by the sound of her voice, the syllables of her spirit, the hidden alphabet of her breath. Wind continues to zip and rake over the sides of our bodies. I tell Megan to come here.  I lie down in a supine position, as if I am practicing for conserving space in my coffin. I ask Megan if she can feel it. If she can feel what my nineteen year old poetic palette dictates as the thundering tranquility of all mankind. Megan remains silent, although she is lying down next to me. Part of me wants to rappel the limbs of my arms around her body like ropes and slip inside the coy hyphen of her smile. Instead I close my eyes and try not to envision the meltdown of almost nuclear proportions  that transpired in the coffee shop earlier that morning. I try not to think about what the guys will say when I come back to P-town, my red duffel bag in one hand, the shards of my recently severed heart pocketed in the other. I try not to think about how embarrassed Megan must feel that I showed up at her doorstep handing her every poetic pulse of my being one thin line of weak tea stanzas at a time. Turning on one side, my elbow crooked in geometrical positions, my left palm pressed into my head, I reach out and grab one fiber of Megan’s hair that is limp, bowing almost wth wayward reverence into her forehead.

 

I then begin to quote her poetry.

 

I quote Rumi. I invite her to come to the orchard in spring. I tell her that there will be wine and sweethearts in the pomegranate flowers. I tell her that if she does not come, these do not matter. I tell her that if she does come, these do not matter. I quote Shams of Tabriz. I mutter five different pronouns and then kick open the gate to the garden of mystic lovers. I talk about these not being true distinctions. I fish out a Marlboro light from my pocket and fire it up with the lighter adorned with an old world atlas of the globe.  I take intermittent puffs, reverting back to Rumi, gesticulating about Birds making Great Sky circles, telling the doe-cheeked presence of my muse that there are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. Quoting her my mantra of “Let the Beauty you Love be what you do.” Tell her afterwards, using the word intrinsic, saying intrinsically who you are.

 
I pause for a few minutes as if trying to collectively garner poetic affect and bouquets of emotional  applause. With my cigarette tapering down to cork and filter I mentally debate quoting the first half of Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, only to discern that it would come off as a self-indulgent woe-is-me –I-didn’t –get-laid soliloquy of sorrow if I do.

 

Flicking the dregs of the cigarette in an arch like fashion into the arena of invisible molecules in front of us I begin to quote Whitman.

 
            “This poem is the poem that made me want to really be a poet.” I tell her. “It’s the poem I read in front of my high school at a unity day festival last year. 

 
            As I begin to shovel out the sentiments of my chest, conveying to Megan in Whitmanesque verse how I have somehow perceived to be with those I like is metaphysically enough, a golden trapezoid of light seems to split through the elderly fingers of the half naked trees, settling near Megan’s kneecap. As with the poetry reading last night, the look etched into Megan’s lips look like she is bathing a new born daughter, slowly baptizing gentle suds across her back, but still, delicate of the creatures every breath. I am telling Megan that being surrounded by beautiful breathing laughing curious flesh is enough. I am telling Megan that to look upon them or to smell them just for a moment. I am asking Megan what is this then, lost in the aching tranquility of her attentive expressions, lost in the slants of light ricocheting through the frames of tree limbs, lost in the way her eyes are pensively looking down into the direction of my purple Doc Marten

 
            Megan tells me that it is beautiful. I ask Megan if it is okay if I hold her just for a second. She remains silent before her chin wobbles for an assenting nod.

 
            A gust of wind splashes across the back of our bodies. Megan’s head is tucked into the area code between chin and shoulder blade. I want to perform a cannonball with my lips and plant kisses on her forehead. Instead, I give her a quick embrace, a squeeze, not quite as tight as the reeling embrace that punctuated last night where it felt like Megan was  trying to enter my body by squeezing herself through my navel. Involuntarily I begin to play with errant strands of her hair, brushing them over to the side of her face.

 
            I tell Megan that the autumn air is invigorating and that what the two of us can collectively define as “this” feels peaceful. Megan replies by stating that we have less than a half-hour to get back to the mall before the movie convenes.  I close my eyes and sop up the earth, the rolled carpet of wind tickling the back of my neck, the blanket of pure light from the sun lingering above us, the pure unfiltered swelling blue of the perfect autumnal day, the bulbous puffs of a cloud occasionally skating past and the scent in my arms of the girl of my dream.

 
“You can recite one more poem if you like, then it is time for us to go now.”





 
I rope her closer. I tell her that this is by Shakespeare, looking at the pond, talking about that certain refulgent time of year thou mayest in me behold, when yellow leaves or none or few do hang, quoting the poem in its entirety, placing my lips on her forehead after wards, kissing her halo without emitting the slightest squeak as she closes her eyes.

 

            “We need to hurry up or we are going to be late for the movie, David.” Megan says.     

 

                                                           
                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment