Sunday, October 27, 2013

How soon Hath time the subtle thief of youth....OCT 20th 1996 (a)




The morning slices into me. I sleep with the residue of her lips on my heart, and she is upstairs, in her own bed clouded with stuffed animals and comforters, 20 feet above me, if it was two years later the audacious writer wouldn’t have spent the day being so maudlin, he would have kissed her the first night he was in town, he would have showered her with flowers the second he got off the plane, everything he would have said would have painted the mural of ecstasy on to her lips, he would have made vows and publically composed odes about her beauty—but he is unfledged and coy and she is upstairs, twenty feet above him, sleeping in sweatpants and a tee-shirt, wearing the retainer she always wears when she sleeps that makes it look like she has braces. She is sleeping their, her dog on the bottom of her bed, coddled into a warm mound of flesh, lingering above me like the most beautiful cloud.

There is the sound of muffled overhead thumping.  The morning sun sidles into the down stairs basement window in thick fibers and strands of light.

I arrive out of bed like a caricature in a children’s pop-up book clad only in my boxers. My hair is slightly unkempt.  From the opposite side of the ceiling it sounds as if someone is trying to move a piano over the linoleum of the kitchen floor in their socks.  The entirety of my anatomy is stiff and kicking like a toddler learning to swim for the woman who is twenty feet above me. The women whose residue is still on my lips.

 
Perhaps because she planted the petals of her lips on my lips last night I have slept better and am the last one up. Whereas the Snow family slept in on Saturday a hearty bustle seems alert and agog before 8am Sunday morning. Somewhere in the house the scent of coffee reaches that of my olfactory senses. I sit up in bed, my shirt off, the morning light leaking through the bottom eye-lid of the basement window in horizontal slants of fool’s gold. My bag is close to me, my notebook splayed open like something shot and wounded I pick up my pen and begin to chisel thoughts into stanzas.  There is the smell of cleansing—steam sifting from a recently brewed vat of beckoning caffeinated ambrosia.


 I can’t help but mentally pun that the Snow family is turning into an overhead blizzard-like flurry of upstairs activity.

                                   
I have stepped into one of the two pairs of jeans I brought with me. I am walking around with my shirt off. My hair is unkempt.

 
A voice carols down the stairs as if floating.

 
“David, do you want to take a shower or something?”

 
Downstairs there is a bathroom the size of a walk-in closet in a college dorm room with sink and a pisser and a mirror and bad flowery late 70’s wallpaper yet no shower. I still smell like smoke. I don’t think I’ve showered since Thurs night. A slight film is beginning to form like sandpaper frost across the angular contours of my visage.

 
I still smell like cigar smoke. I want to keep Megan’s odor from when I held her on the couch last night on my body as long as somehow is humanly possible.

 
I walk over to the stairs. Megan has traipsed down to the mid-level and she is conversing to me behind a plank in the wall, as if afraid she will walk in on me naked with my penis a pendulum of flesh slightly dangling bookmarked between the center of my saltine loins.

 
“I’m fine,” I tell her, the moonlight mist of her scent still wading over my limbs like a cloud. There is still more furniture-mover scurrying upstairs.  Splashing water on my face, I notice that if I still squint into the chrome vertical hung rectangle above the sink my eyes still look like they have spent the last twenty-four hours crying uncontrollably.

 
I leave the bathroom and walk to my makeshift bed, tucking in the covers, smoothing out the mattress, placing my gray shirt (thankful that I don’t have to get overly dressed up for church) around the doughy contours of my limbs, placing the contexts back into  my red duffel bag. A pair of rolled jeans.  Goiter-sox that are rolled into each other and look like they could be humping. I place in the black notebook where I have been scribbling my thoughts all weekend, chronicling every molecular facet of the sojourn. I place in my photo album aptly titled Youth. The last thing I place into the bag is the copy of Walt Whitman’s Leaves of Grass, as if it were some sort of tombstone for a veteran dead in war.  

 
Looking behind me I notice that the video tape of Before Sunrise is jutting its plastic tongue out at me through the hyphenated mouth of the VCR and that Megan will need it rewound before she returns it tot eh one video store in Appleton where her credit is still good. I try to rewind but every time it appears the cartridge has seemingly rewound it only gets as far as the beginning of the closing credits, the last scene of Celine looking out the window of a lapsing train, a violin decrescendoing into a weep in the background as a slight forbidden smile untucks itself from somewhere inside her lips. It is the same song I was listening to in my head three days ago as I prepared to leave on my sojourn and now, I keep listening to it, I keep listening to living life over and over again like a round.

After listening to the song for the third time I take the cartridge out, get down on both knees as if waiting to be blessed, and blow.

***




We are late for church.  Her parents have already left. Megan is dressed in a brown dress the color of the season, politely smoothed out and pleasantly hung near the caps of her knees.

 
“Pico? Pico?” She asks, scurrying around the living room. Pinecones and twigs leave her footsteps, her body is a carousel found in the autumnal woods, deep, constructing from the dregs of fur and pine. The carpet becomes a heavily trodden sallow ribbon, ferrying footsteps deep into he well of Fairytales and childhood funnel cakes.

 
“Pico?’ Megan’s voice slaps the living room ceiling fan with a mild echo. Without looking at me, she turns around and prances up the stairs, yelling out the dog’s name, leaving me all alone in the living room of the house. All alone with the bookcases and the fireplace; all alone with the grand piano and the apple orchard at dusk drained silence. All alone, momentarily, with my thoughts, her voice being bushing and pressed throughout her lungs in various floors of the abode. Near the cobbled entrance, where her parents gripped my palm just less than forty hours ago, there are retro-glossed sheen Olin Mills portraits of the Snow family household in various stages of their career. The one in the center, side of a window, shows her father still looking modest in a off-tan three piece suit, her mother, long velvet hair dripping off of her shoulders into a flowered blouse with water fountain puffed pads foaming between jointed shoulder and chin. A child, no more than perhaps four fingers, stands as the bridge between the progenitors. Clasped between the matriarchs arm, attired in a little outfit, is Megan. A smile blossoming into a ray of sunshine beaming forth from near her brow.

 
Megan has still not arrived from above the balcony of steps. I hear carpeted thuds, and the occasional door slam. I hear Megan almost cursing to herself, looking for the damn dog.

 
“Pico! Pico!” Megan yells, her voice itch against the carpet and the wallpaper. I stare at the ponderous drag of the grand piano, how it looks almost like some water buffalo grazing. From behind the day sofa, I see a brown sphere, coddling it’s limbs so that it resembles a globe. Without thinking I lift Pico up in the air, cradling him, holding him the way Megan’s mother is holding her in the portrait just inside the alcove.

 
There are more hurried carpeted steps. The lower hemisphere of Megan’s outfit is twirling around the final dash of stairs. Her body hushes when she looks at me, Pico cradled in my arms, very silently. With her mouth still buttoned she nears, holding out both hands. I feel her arms as we barter the warm creature between us. She looks down at Pico and then looks back into my eyes, a ruffled smile purling into her lips.

 
“Come on,” She says. “We need to get to Church. My parents are going to wonder where we are.”

 

 
                                                                        ***

 



Frost licks its icy tongue into the Earth early in mid-Wisconsin. I think of my father, late for his students, holding his milked coffee, placing the thermos above the car as he first picks the veneer of opaque frost from the windshield, tapping his limbs around the old Pontiac, as if a dentist scrapping plaque from the caves of an inner patrons mouth.
 

Megan is an old pro at this. I open the car door and step inside as she immediately slaps the metallic door shut in my face, surrounded my icy mirror that occludes my frosty vision with thick sheaths of ice. The car is started and within thirty seconds I will no longer be able to see my breath bubbled out before me as I speak. Megan twists the keys in the ignition and operates the defrost on the windshield. She shimmies around the car, dutifully scrapping off peels of frost, her scraper transitioning into a military barber’s electric sears, granting the glass a mandatory butch before Basics.

 
By the time she has circled the caravan she slaps the side door close. Ice still gelled on the windshield, flipping the wipers on, it quickly dissolves in two thick exclamatory marked swipes. The inside car is toasty, and her head rotates behind the seat as she pulls back and swooshes out a u, into the manor of Beeechwood court, where heaps of leaves remained piles and pyred at the corner, awaiting the snuffed arrival of the mechanical dinosaur to sniff them up.

 
“That was good,” I say, endeavor to communicate in terms of small talk. “I’ve never seen a windshield thawed like that before.” Megan just looks at me, slightly nods her head, and continues driving. I look at the cover to the BEST MIXED TAPE I HAVE EVER HEARD and try not to think about her boyfriend in Minnesota, try not to think about the mixed tapes I made for her. Think about the long winding letters sloppily composed in blue-ink that looked like spiked river hydraulics. Try not to think about any of this, as we drive, into Downtown Appleton. I am seated next to her, my hand pressed against the side of my face, trying not to hurt inside.


                                                                   ***



The church is located by the river, behind College avenue. It is masonry granite and has an autumnal flare to it. Megan tells me that there is only one service this weekend since the church is celebrating some sort of anniversary everyone is agog and moving furntiure to verify there is enough room after the service for the potluck dinner.

Upon entering the building we immediately saunter into the Pastor. The pastor is all rubicund-cheek pumpkin visage with a gourd-shaped nose and potbelly torso in his collar, towering over both of us, Megan sinking in the hot-air balloon of his shadow as he talks to her looking down out of necessity and girth, floating amidst the incumbent festivities. Megan quickly introduces me as her friend to which the beet-faced Reverend protrudes his hand in an all to post-benediction exit, bobbing his chin several times saying it is nice to meet me, his palm the size of a softball catchers mitt.

           
“Why don’t you guys help and move some more chairs.” He says, pointing to the community room off the ramp in the narthex where the après service celebration dinner will transpire.

 
            “Okay,” She says, sounding unsure, sounding that she doesn’t want to get a verbal lecture by the Reverend who confirmed her four years earlier.

 
    The church and adjoining community room have the same scent of every Lutheran church and adjoining community room I have ever been in. There is the heavy odor of disinfectant mixed with the percolating aged aroma of feeble Sunday school coffee.

 
            Megan and I each pick up a single chair and follow the rest of the teal-tie parishioners into the community room, where set are tables each with what appears to a plate of wafers and miniaturized plastic shot glasses full of wine as a center piece.

           
“They are going to do communion in here, after the service.” Megan says, with me first inquiring. The two of us are still holding our individual chair as members of the congregation tilt past us.

 

            “It looks like the room is already set for the dinner.” I say.

 

            “What should we do with the chairs?” She says, holding the chair by the back oak stem as if trying to pick up a sack of potatoes, reminiscent of the illegitimate ersatz child  they make you carry around the halls in highschool health classes.

 
            “I don’t know,” I say, looking back into Megan at the brown skirt she is wearing that seems to correlate perfectly with the autumnal light. Sun is screeching into the room from the east the way sunlight enters the church in spring on easter morning. There is something beautiful in the method in which Megan is holding the chair. Instead of sitting it down and resting she lets it slip just a little bit and then reels it up, near her chin as if trying to perform one final push up in the presidential fitness test fashion.

 

            I tell Megan we should set the chairs down and go sit into the sanctuary.

 

            “We just can’t leave the chairs here.” She says, sounding as if she is talking about  orphans in a third world country.

 

            “It sounds like church is starting though.”

 

            “Church won’t be starting for another fifteen minutes.” Megan then punctuates with a rejoinder stating that besides, the pastor told us too.

 

            I set my chair down but Megan is still holding hers up as if she is breast feeding a four year old. From years seeped in Lutheran liturgy mistakenly call the community room the narthex.

 
            “By the way, have I told you you look nice today.  I like that dress. It’s very  apropos for the season”

 

            Megan smiles before she tells me that I don’t have to tell her that every time I see her, David.

 
                                                            ***          



A friend of Megan is holding a flute and playing with the scattered group of amateur musicians. He has long yellow hair that looks like he dyed it with a stroke of sunlight and is lanky and the totem pole and there is something about him faintly reminiscent of Drosselmeyer from the Nutrcracker or the Horny old Uncle who has to register every three months for charges related to youth and sexual misconduct. Megan looks at me and tells me that she will be right back. I am sitting on the pew alone when I feel a subtle punch on the back of my shoulders and realize that it is Megan’s father.  He has a smile on his face. He inquires how I like Sunday morning here in good old Appleton Wisconsin.

 I tell him it is fine. I look at Megan and see that the tall fuck with the flute is saying something that makes her smile. She has her hand cupped over her lips as if trying to thwart germs. He hands her a piece of paper and folds up in slight of hand fashion an it completely disappears when she arrives back and sits next to me in the pew.

 
“Who was that?” I inquire.

 
“It’s a guy from my school. He also goes to my church. He’s a really cool guy. You would like him. A lot.”

 
From behind us resonates the a clamor and tintinnabulation of bells in autumn. We sit next to each other, facing the same direction we have faced the entire weekend when driving or watching slated images reel past us on a geometric tarp, there is the thunderous exhale of an organ while people dressed in what connotes Sunday garb all face the similar direction, alighting hymnals like podiums, squinting, singing off-key facing the direction of an oddly constructed plus sign, an askance X, a cross heralding hosannas to the only deity we have ever known.


                                                                              ***





Even though the Lutheran Church Megan attends is not Missouri Synod the flow of the service  basically adheres to the formula I have followed every Sunday morning of my life. There are hymns. There are readings where the audience is require to perform calisthenics, there is the welcome where everyone looks around as if befuddled and lost and says the words peace be with you while shaking hands in Native American treaty like fashion. Since this is a special service commemorating some sort of cornerstone anniversary for the church Megan’s Mom is the MC introducing several special Guests. A lady with blue hair from within the congregation reads a poem she wrote to commemorate the occasion which makes my, “In a world so jaded so inane/ to put its trust in Kurt Cobain.” Poem I wrote in high school look like it just won a National Book Award. The main guest is a writer named Tom Hegg, who wrote a best-selling thoroughly ilustrated Christmas book in the early 80’entitled A Cup of Christmas Tea. He teaches drama at a hoity-toity prep-school in Minnesota and just scribed another book about a Grateful-Dead looking Teddy Bear named PEEF who has either found Santa Christ or Jesus Claus or both.


 About a year ago my mom went on a Baptist binge and transferred churches. I still attend the church in Peoria, sitting next to my cancer-riddled grandma, not realizing that she will be planted underground in less than two years, not realizing, that my father, will be planted into the ground in less than six. Every Sunday morning I wear a tie and blazer and wreath my arm around the frail shoulders of my grandmother in the pew next to me.


 The church is the same direction as the church I attend in the South Side of Peoria.


 I want to lasso my arm around Megan’s petite shoulder only I don’t dare.

 When the congregational band plays (which the commemorative bulletin labels as a symphony) Megan looks directly at the freaky lad playing the flute.

 I anticipate an Amen.  

                                                                               ***


It is after church. Megan and I are seated in the room where two hours earlier we were inexplicably holding chairs to our knees only she excuses herself and says she will return back in a minute. I am seated near the front of the room since Megan’s mom is still em-ceeing. The tables are round and host eight. I sit down next to Megan. On my opposite side is Mister Snow. In the center of the table there is a variegated teddy Bear.

 
Mr. Snow seems to have completely warmed up to me.

 
“Look,” He says, he picks up the teddy bear in the center of the table. He presses his finger into the center of the stuffed creature as if pressing an elevator button. A high-pitched squeak emits. Everyone at the table laughs. Mr. Snow presses the center of the bear again. Another hiccuppy squeak. Mr Snow laughs again. Megan is nowhere in sight. I wonder if she is talking to her friend with the long blonde hair who was playing the flute. In the center of the table as if a Ouija board are eight wafers and eight small vials of wine, of which I can only presume Megan was talking about earlier when she stated that communion was going to happen after church today.

Megan slides down next to me and says sorry she had to pee.

                                     
Megan's mom continues to MC. She introduces Tom Hegg again who recites another rhyming verse to much applause. After performing Megan again looks at me and tells me that maybe I should try to meet him since I want to be a poet and all.

 
The pastor with the rubicund visage gets up from in front of the tables. He gives the whole talk about how it is time to commune. The heads at nearly all the table and look down in their laps as if they are intentionally trying to be pensive. The silver bowl with little chunks of bread is passed. For some reason at our table it is passed counter clockwise. Everyone grabs a frayed slice. The pastor who mandated that Megan and myself shuffle chairs holds his individual scrap of bread up into the direction of the ceiling and states that this the true body of Christ, Ninety-eight percent of the human beings in the room sport pensive expressions on their faces or are looking down into their laps. Everyone places the bread into their lips at the same time and chews. We perform the same exercise circulating the vial of wine counter-clockwise around the table. The pastor again holds his vial up and says that this is the actual transubstantiated blood of Christ. Years later it will be impossible for me to hold up a vial of that size and not say cheers but for now, I drink, in unison, and look down.  

After we partake from the body and blood I reach down beneath the helm of the table and give Megan's hand a little squeeze.







No comments:

Post a Comment