Monday, November 18, 2013

For my mother, who didn't ask for her pen to be duly returned....


 
I remember mom telling me that the first time she ever met anyone who was HIV-positive was when she was attending one of her Christian Conferences down at the Civic center and the person ahead of her in line asked for a pen. Some how they got on the subject of HIV and AIDS and somehow it leaked out that the gentlemen standing in line ahead of my mother just so happened to be HIV positive himself, and that his lover, whose impediment had developed into AIDS had given him the virus, so gay men (human beings) became dominoes, fumbling from a chain reaction, bending over, unable to get up.  Mom said that this was the first and only time she had ever met or touched anyone who was HIV positive.

 

            She didn’t ask for the pen back.

 

 

                                                                      ***

 

 

Matt Brown ruffles my head every morning. “Your head looks like a seat cushion for a big, gaudy fag to squat on.” He says smiling. My eyes droop shut, my body is enervated from pumping copious amounts of alcohol through my veins the night before. The brass hue and cactus texture of my hair grants me the appearance of a lopsided philharmonic trombonist crashing through his windshield with his instrument perched at his lips. Matt peels back the crusty strands  of hair and kisses my forehead, informing me that he loves me. Telling me that he loves me, before he goes to work, helping patients who are HIV +.

 

 

                                                                          ***

 

“I love you Damian.” I tell him. His pants drip down the side of his legs, and we are walking down back to Larry and Carries, my eyes, as are often the case, because of both my contacts and my allergies, are bubbled red in the iris.

 

            “What was up with you and that girl back there,” He says.

 

            “I liked her name. I think she was afraid of me though.”

 

            “You were acting all over her like that because of her name,” Demian looks back at me. It is three am, cars continue to whiz past, occasionally swerving.

 

            “Yeah,” I say, commenting perfectly with the heavy ruffle in my corduroy jeans. “I was into her because of her name.”

 

            Damian pauses. His eyes appear to be a canopy drooped over a sunset somewhere else.

 

            “But, Dave. You’re just like you were last year. Just like you were last year when you were with Misty.”

 

            “I pause, and reply by saying, ‘meaning’ with my voice perched an octave to form a question.

 

            “Meaning what was going on last summer with you and Misty. That’s how I wanted to spend last summer, you know I had plans.” A cool drip has mopped over the surface. We pass a high school, we pass Roosevelt Avenue. We are walking, not exactly knowing for sure exactly where we are going. We know the general direction. We know that Carry has the back side door held slightly ajar. We know that as soon as we arrive, we sill stumble, I will let Damian lull himself to sleep with the sounds of David Sanchez saxophone still blaring heavily inside his thoughts. And I will fall asleep, once again, all alone, wondering where the girl of my dreams is-wondering what she is doing right now…………….

 

 


                                                                           ***

 

“I’m disappointed in you, Dave.” Mother is saying again, sitting on the edge of her mattress, as if stranded with her feet dangling over the edge of a peer cutting into a nuclear Lake. “I’m disappointed in you she says again. I’m disappointed in you. On my way to work I slam the door shut and get into my car. My spine, sprouting up like a beanstalk out of my shoulder, curving into a question mark shape as it wraps around my brain. Wondering why, just why, things have to be so fucking difficult at times.  If they would have wanted me to live a more Christian Life, then they had the option to send me to a more Christian school during the formative years of my life when I felt absolutely no love at all and my parents were very interested in sending me to shrinks and putting me on medication but not very interested in helping my overall, academic future by sending me to a school that would be considered overall quote ‘conducive’ to academia. This, then, perhaps, depriving me of, from a formative years, me as a person, truncating my ambition from seeing what I am ever quote, ‘capable’ of achieving as both a person and a functioning human being in this lifetime. Everything mom and dad would have ever wanted for me to have accomplish immediately gets hauled around on my shoulders because I harbor sincere thoughts of killing myself every time I see a telephone pole picturing a noose tied around it like a clown’s tie and my neck fumbling back and forth, a fish pulled out of water that is now used for bait to catch other hapless inhabitants. 

 
I feel like telling my parents' that I have nowhere to go.
 

                                   

                                                                          ***

 

                        It was the moment that her face let go over every single muscle it was holding onto, unbuckled and smiled. That moment when Vanessa was walking down the staircase, each row our bodies clopping hard down, around, the staircase descending turning the corner. It was after the class period where I told her that her prose was so beautiful and so gorgeous that it gave my heart an erection.

 

            “I’m glad that was the only thing it made erect!!!” Thomas Palakeel laughing outloud, slapping his hand into the side of his knee. The class breaking out in laughter, tilting their heads back, cackling out golf ball sized hackles.

 

           

                                                                                 ***

 

 

“I will sleep with whoever I want!” She says, stammering. Tears, residual salt icicles still leak from the side of my eyes, leftover form the funeral. I tell her that she is free to do that. I inform her that our rapport, as lovely as it is, is based solely on trust, and that, even though our bodies sexually configure into one physiological heart, our bodies are still functioning separate entities. She continues to scold.

 
                                                                           ***
 

                      


 

            Dave has been in his bedroom all day watching Queer as Folk DVD. He is laconic and sips his pipe. Outfits are adjusted and we enter his 2001 Santa Fe SUV Jace got him such a good deal on. Inside the car he taps the radio nubs and twists back onto High Street. It is damp outside, the color of a tea bag thoroughly doused. He rounds the corner, turning from High onto Sheridan. The break light on his SUV nearly winks at the Stop octagon as he pushed the gas forward a block and a half, turns on Windham. Headed

He says. towards Campus town. A heavy reticence fills the car and breath begins to leak out of Dave’s throat. It is on the corner of Windham and Orange that the break like on the SUV pause for a minute and he puts the car on P. He is on my lap and tears are draining from his head.

 

            “I could be, I may be HIV positive.” He says, his face a flush of tears.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment