Monday, November 4, 2013

January 1994


 


            Father has entered my room and he is crying thought because Jen is giving six-year old Jena Brenner a violin lesson in the other room he snorts up his tears. Father’s glasses are removed and he is pressing his fingers into his brow like he has a migrane. I have been in my room all Saturday morning and I have been listening to Morrissey. It is a minus twenty outside and wind chill advisories have been listened all throughout Central Illinois on the television. Pictures illustrated clouds with facial features and winter head garments blowing thick rugs of air onto various counties. It is cold. The radiator yawns. I have been listening to Morrissey. Listening to how such a little thing makes such a big difference. Listening to Hair Dresser on Fire, all around Salone Square. Listening to Morrissey talk about he’s just another person in the world, he’s just another prude with a radical view. Listening to Morrissey comment about how most people keep their brains between their legs. I am listening to all of these morose, icicle sentences on a winter’s morning when it is twenty degrees banked with a negative hyphen in front of it. The dresser pastor Schudde gave us is thwarting the dual glass French doors which once opened to the grand piano. I have pictures of Eric Johnson and Carl Lewis and David Copperfield on my door. This is the room I moved into last year, before any of my sojourns to Europe. During my freshman year of High school. No, father is standing before me, his brow is the ruffled, the color of bacon. He is scooping up tears from the bottom of his eyes.

 

He comes in and gives me a hug. Tells me that he has something to tell me. Something that he doesn’t want the girls to know about yet.

 

“Dad?” I inquire. In the background I adjust the circular valve on the speakers to tweak Morrissey’s melancholy drone into a hum. Mother is talking very loud outside and Jennifer is instructing Jena Bremer how to squeak out Go tell Aunt Roady. The two violins are bridging into a cacophony of squeals and Dad is still snorting, trying to warble something.

 

“Amelia,” He says. “Eric…” At first I think maybe there has been a car crash. Amelia tipped over her father’s vehicle a week before Christmas while driving on the shoulder in an intersect exit. Father continues to shuffle of snorts and crusty sentences.

 

“Amelia is…” He says, looking at me with his glasses removed. One of the few times I can ever remember my father looking at me with his glasses removed and pocketed.

 

“Amelia is…is….pregnant.” There is another snort and another tear. Later I will find out that the mere shock of my cousin’s pregnancy was enough to siphon my Uncle into a nervous breakdown. He will break out in Hives. He will have to go to the emergency room and be injected with some sort of steroids to subdue his aggression. He will have lost control. 

 

“Wielding a bicycle chain. Why don’t you change? I will not change and I will not be nice.”

 

My whole body becomes a question mark. I say the word what, very loudly.

 

“Yes,” Dad nods his bruised head, tears splashing down both sides of his cheeks in little creeks. It is the same room, eight years earlier, where I lay humping the rumpled countenance of the carpet in my KEDS looking at the photo Album from my seventh Birthday, thinking about the last time Amelia innocuously exposed herself to me in the back yard, during a demented rendition of Simon says. Thinking about Amelia, pressing my body into the carpet, with the phone clearing its throat in the background and mother hugging dad afterwards, dad, explaining to me, that Nana Grace had died, saying the words okay afterwards like he was upset at himself for not having thoroughly prepared for this eulogy. It was in this same very room, more than half a lifetime ago.

 

Dad’s face has a slight golden flavor seeped into it even though he is upset and tears swell in little collective pools down both cheeks. My shoulders begin to shake. I have no clue how I am expected to respond. I pick up the bottle of English Leather that coated my cheeks in Europe, again, less than a year ago. Without thinking of the ribbon of fledgling violin squeals in the background, I alight the glass vial and hurtle it, compellingly, in the direction of the mirror, the reflective glossed Goliath, unveiling all of our erred human foibles.

 

“FUCK!!!!!” I scream, out. Not paying attention to the chip the vial dents in the frame border. The carousel anthem of Morrissey in the background continues to chime.

 

“Most people keep their brains between their legs.”

 

Dad hushes. He seems not to mind that I am cursing. He makes a finger, pointing to the next room over, indicating that I can’t drain all of my emotion as expressively as I would like. There are more painful screeches emanating from the living room. I give my father a hug. Step back and punch my hand in the air, as hard as I can. The pinwheel anthem continues to slip out of the speakers.  

 

“Most people keep their brain’s between their legs.”

 

 

                                                            *

 

 

            “In case you haven’t noticed, Laurie’s a mess, by the way.” Dave says.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment