Sunday, November 24, 2013

..If you really want to know...


         

 

“…And if you really want to know on December tenth I first had sex with him.” Rachel Holiday continues to drive, looking out the front windshield. There is a heavy autumnal gale slapping against the side of the car. Her foot accelerates the vessel to 80 mph. She seems irritable. I place my hand up against the window, watching as drops accumulate in little glucose

 

“Did you wear a condom?” I inquire. Looking at her by way of her reflection in the tear smeared windshield. I can see her eyes seemingly blink as the wipers swipe back and forth, as if waving goodbye to us in a very weird way. Rachel switches lane without slapping down her signaler, nods her chin as if to indicate, yes, she was safe.

 

“And it hurt like hell.” Rachel Holiday says, without me inquiring. She is still driving, driving very fast. Two eternal years ago, when Rachel’s father would pick us up mother would just request that I wear my seat belt in the car. Rachel is driving fast,  her friend still kissing her bumper, driving fast, on the interstate telling me all about Lee, telling me how in love with Lee she still is.

 

All I can do is look out the window and listen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment